A Quick View of Our Community:
- Despite a dip in 2013-14, the number of children reported abused or neglected has increased 38.6%, or 4,046 children, since 2005-06.
- During fiscal year 2015-16, DSS received 7,723 reports of abuse and neglect concerning 14,527 children, or 5.5% of all children under age 18 in Mecklenburg County, up from 7,618 reports concerning 14,048 in fiscal year 2014-15.
- Nearly 40% of children reported abused or neglected were under the age of six. This group consistently accounts for the greatest number of reports.
- The number of children in foster care decreased more than 39% since 2005-06. The decline in the number of children taken into custody reflects a 2008 federal law requiring DSS to invest in families to address maltreatment prior to removal.
- In 2013, 55.9% of middle school students reported being bullied on school property. 23.3% report having seriously considered suicide.
- Of the 248,565 children in Mecklenburg County, 1 in 5 (51,666/20.8%) live in poverty.