A Quick View of Our Community:
- Despite a dip in 2013-14, since 2004-05 the number of children reported maltreated has increased 39.8%, or 3,998 children.
- During fiscal year 2014-15, 14,047 children, or 5.8% of all children under age 18, were reported abused or neglected in Mecklenburg County, up from 13,305 in fiscal year 2013-14.
- Children under age 6 accounted for nearly 40% of initial child abuse and neglect reports in 2014-15. This group consistently accounts for the greatest number of reports.
- In 2013, 55.9% of middle school students reported being bullied on school property. 23.3% report having seriously considered suicide.
- Of the 248,565 children in Mecklenburg County, 1 in 5 (51,666/20.8%) live in poverty.
Community Statistics – Helpful Tools and Reports